Friday, September 10, 2010

Крузенштерн



Did I mention that we live on a port city? In fact, one of it's claims to fame is that it is the northernmost 'ice-free' port city on the Baltic Sea. Since Erik spent every summer weekend of his growing up life on a sailboat with his family, it's a good thing I get a similar thrill from watching all the boats - I mean ships - sail their way in and out of the harbor here in Klaipeda. We often find ourselves mesmerized by the lights bobbing far out on the shoreline as we imagine the stories of sailors and other crew members coming and going from our home. I am sure it is more romantic in my mind than in actuality, because I am pretty good at that.

Last weekend the world's 2nd largest tall ship was in our port. We had the opportunity to tour this huge and very old (built in 1926) Russian ship that continues to be used for training purposes and is normally docked in Kaliningrad, the port city to the south of us. The sight was impressive, although I was wishing that the sails would have been out for us to see this old ship in all its glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment